A Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act

The federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of
information in the files of consumer reporting agencies. There are many types of consumer reporting
agencies, including credit bureaus and specialty agencies (such as agencies that sell information about
check writing histories, medical records, and rental history records). Here is a summary of your major
rights under the FCRA. For more information, including information about additional rights, go
to www.ftc.gov/credit or write to: Consumer Response Center, Room 130-A, Federal Trade
Commission, 600 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W., Washington, D.C. 20580.

  • You must be told if information in your file has been used against you. Anyone who uses
    a credit report or another type of consumer report to deny your application for credit,
    insurance, or employment – or to take another adverse action against you – must tell you, and
    must give you the name, address, and phone number of the agency that provided the
  • You have the right to know what is in your file. You may request and obtain all the
    information about you in the files of a consumer reporting agency (your “file disclosure”).
    You will be required to provide proper identification, which may include your Social Security
    number. In many cases, the disclosure will be free. You are entitled to a free file disclosure if:
    – a person has taken adverse action against you because of information in your credit
    – you are the victim of identify theft and place a fraud alert in your file;
    – your file contains inaccurate information as a result of fraud;
    – you are on public assistance;
    – you are unemployed but expect to apply for employment within 60 days.
    In addition, by September 2005 all consumers will be entitled to one free disclosure every 12
    months upon request from each nationwide credit bureau and from nationwide specialty
    consumer reporting agencies. See www.ftc.gov/credit for additional information.
  • You have the right to ask for a credit score. Credit scores are numerical summaries of your
    credit-worthiness based on information from credit bureaus. You may request a credit score
    from consumer reporting agencies that create scores or distribute scores used in residential real
    property loans, but you will have to pay for it. In some mortgage transactions, you will receive
    credit score information for free from the mortgage lender.
  • You have the right to dispute incomplete or inaccurate information. If you identify
    information in your file that is incomplete or inaccurate, and report it to the consumer reporting
    agency, the agency must investigate unless your dispute is frivolous. See www.ftc.gov/credit
    for an explanation of dispute procedures.
  • Consumer reporting agencies must correct or delete inaccurate, incomplete, or
    unverifiable information. Inaccurate, incomplete or unverifiable information must be
    removed or corrected, usually within 30 days. However, a consumer reporting agency may
    continue to report information it has verified as accurate.
  • Consumer reporting agencies may not report outdated negative information. In most
    cases, a consumer reporting agency may not report negative information that is more than
    seven years old, or bankruptcies that are more than 10 years old.
  • Access to your file is limited. A consumer reporting agency may provide information about
    you only to people with a valid need — usually to consider an application with a creditor,
    insurer, employer, landlord, or other business. The FCRA specifies those with a valid need for
  • You must give your consent for reports to be provided to employers. A consumer
    reporting agency may not give out information about you to your employer, or a potential
    employer, without your written consent given to the employer. Written consent generally is
    not required in the trucking industry. For more information, go to www.ftc.gov/credit.
  • You may limit “prescreened” offers of credit and insurance you get based on information
    in your credit report. Unsolicited “prescreened” offers for credit and insurance must include
    a toll-free phone number you can call if you choose to remove your name and address from the
    lists these offers are based on. You may opt-out with the nationwide credit bureaus at
    1-888-5-OPTOUT (1-888-567-8688).
  • You may seek damages from violators. If a consumer reporting agency, or, in some cases, a
    user of consumer reports or a furnisher of information to a consumer reporting agency violates
    the FCRA, you may be able to sue in state or federal court.
  • Identity theft victims and active duty military personnel have additional rights. For more
    information, visit www.ftc.gov/credit.

States may enforce the FCRA, and many states have their own consumer reporting laws. In
some cases, you may have more rights under state law. For more information, contact your
state or local consumer protection agency or your state Attorney General. Federal enforcers
Consumer reporting agencies, creditors and others not listed below

Federal Trade Commission: Consumer Response Center – FCRA Washington, DC 20580 1-877-382-4357
National banks, federal branches/agencies of foreign banks (word “National” or initials “N.A.” appear in or after bank’s name) – Office of the Comptroller of the Currency Compliance Management, Mail Stop 6-6 Washington, DC 20219 800-613-6743
Federal Reserve System member banks (except national banks, and federal branches/agencies of foreign banks) – Federal Reserve Consumer Help (FRCH) P O Box 1200 Minneapolis, MN 55480 Telephone: 888-851-1920 Website Address: www.federalreserveconsumerhelp.gov Email Address: ConsumerHelp@FederalReserve.gov
Savings associations and federally chartered savings banks (word “Federal” or initials “F.S.B.” appear in federal institution’s name) – Office of Thrift Supervision Consumer Complaints Washington, DC 20552 800-842-6929
Federal credit unions (words “Federal Credit Union” appear in institution’s name) – National Credit Union Administration 1775 Duke Street Alexandria, VA 22314 703-519-4600
State-chartered banks that are not members of the Federal Reserve System – Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation Consumer Response Center, 2345 Grand Avenue, Suite 100 Kansas City, Missouri 64108-2638 1-877-275-3342

Air, surface, or rail common carriers regulated by former Civil Aeronautics Board or Interstate Commerce – Commission Department of Transportation , Office of Financial Management Washington, DC 20590 202-366-1306 Activities subject to the Packers and Stockyards Act, 1921 Department of Agriculture Office of Deputy Administrator – GIPSA Washington, DC 20250 202-720-7051